In 1982, to celebrate the introduction of the first 20p Twenty Pence Coin, the Royal Mint released a Limited Issue Piedfort 20p Twenty Pence Silver Proof Coin struck in solid .925 Sterling Silver.
The reverse design depicts the Crowned Tudor Rose and the obverse is the stunning picture of Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.
Piedforts are coins which have been specially struck on thicker than normal blanks.
As their name suggests they are closely associated with France, where from the twelfth century they were apparently issued by the Kings as presentation pieces.
In Britain the practise of striking piedforts is later and less frequent, but medieval and Tudor examples are known.
These legal tender coins have been struck to proof quality using specially prepared dies and highly polished blanks.
- Limited Mintage 10,000 Worldwide
- Piedfort Double the Thickness and Weight of its Standard Counterpart
- Minted in Solid .925 Sterling Silver
- Celebrating the Introduction of the Tudor Rose 20p Coin
- Royal Mint Boxed with Certificate of Authenticity