In 2017 to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the Death of Jane Austen, the Royal Mint released a very Limited Issue Jane Austen Piedfort £2 Two Pound Silver Proof Coin struck in solid .925 Sterling Silver.
The reverse features a portrait of Jane Austen one of the best loved English Novelists while the obverse depict Jody Clark’s Fifth Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
These legal tender coins have been struck to proof quality using specially prepared dies and highly polished blanks.
Piedforts are coins which have been specially struck on thicker than normal blanks.
As their name suggests they are closely associated with France, where from the twelfth century they were apparently issued by the Kings as presentation pieces.
In Britain the practice of striking piedforts is later and less frequent, but medieval and Tudor examples are known.
- Limited Mintage of 2,125 Worldwide
- Struck in fine Piedfort Silver to Proof standard, the first official UK coin to celebrate this great British writer
- Features a design approved by leading Jane Austen academic, Professor John Mullan
- Unique Regency-era coin design by Royal Mint graphic designer Dominique Evans, her first circulating coin design
- Boxed with Certificate of Authenticity