Continuing its journey through the incredible lost world of the dinosaurs, The Royal Mint proudly follows its Tyrannosaurus coin with the latest release in the Dinosaurs: Iconic Specimens collection, a coin dedicated to the mighty Stegosaurus – one of the most popular dinosaurs of them all.
With unmistakable diamond-shaped plates running down its spine culminating in an imposing four-spiked tail, Stegosaurus often tops the list as one of the most recognisable prehistoric creatures of all time with a level of popularity to match. Travel back in time 150 million years and revisit this legendary creature of the Late Jurassic period with a new commemorative coin.
Designed by palaeo-artist Robert Nicholls, the man behind the reverse designs for both the Dinosauria and Mary Anning collections, this coin features Stegosaurus on all fours, proudly displaying its signature spinal plates, as the ‘Sophie’ skeleton sits in the foreground. This artwork was also developed with the expert guidance of Professor Paul Barrett from the Natural History Museum
- Celebrates one of the most legendary dinosaurs to ever roam the Earth
- The second in a new three-coin collection dedicated to iconic specimens in the field of palaeontology
- Features a reverse design by Robert Nicholls, the artist behind both of the existing collections in The Royal Mint’s Tales of the Earth series
- Features the inscriptions ‘STEGOSAURUS’ and ‘JURASSIC’ in reference to the dinosaur itself and the period in which it lived
- Accompanied by informative and educational packaging created in collaboration with the Natural History Museum